Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Conversation With a Tsar...sis.

I'm sitting in a classroom that contains about eight students and one teacher, the teacher is talking about how we are going to interview each other.

I look a my computer screen which has my blog on screen, I just start to stare off wondering who I might be paired with, the background color of my screen shines bright with an ocean blue and I begin to zone out.

A voice comes across the room snapping me out of my daze, "Mylo, you want to pair up?"

It is Ryan Tsarsis, who I work with on the Aztec Press, but have not really mingled with him in this class environment, so I agree to pair up.

We start out just bullshitting about sports as we both know it's a common interest. He is a New York sports fan as is favorite baseball team is the Yankees, his football team is the Jets and his hockey team is the Rangers.

When asked which is his favorite sport, he said, "My passion is the same for hockey and football."

This 21 year old wants to transfer to the University of Arizona next semester and is really hoping to get a job working in the sports field. He is also considering changing his major to computer science because he went onto the ESPN website and noticed that they always seem to be hiring computer tech people.

Another hobby of his is writing, he hopes to be able to write a fictional novel one day that is loosely based on a life experience of his.

His project for this class is a feature on online sports betting. He interviewed a friend of his "Dan" who doesn't want his full name to be known, who is addicted to online betting.

Dan is few years older than Tsarsis and has been betting online since he started college. Tsarsis had an easy time with the interview, although it would run on as Dan wouldn't stop talking about how he worked his system and got into the non-essential details of what he does.

"They all think they know what they are doing, they are passionate about it, but when confronted they become defensive," Tsarsis said as a broad generalization about online gamblers.

At that point the teacher notified us that it was time to finish off the interviews so we could do one last thing before the end of class.

I'm looking forward to reading his feature as it seems to be an interesting topic and I'm curious to see some quotes from Dan.

TRUST M.E.

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent post about the interview. I like your choice to create a "scene" using the present tense. Great that we learn a little bit about you, a little about Ryan, and a little about his interview. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete